29 December 2019

End of another decade

I thought of looking back and evaluating how the past 9-10 years of my life were. You know, to get into that end of a decade/yearend spirit. I sought the help of an old friend named Facebook (We go way back in 2009, hence, a good starting point! If Multiply did not cease to exist, it would have been a better reference.) because we (people my age and younger) all did, at one point in our lives, shared too much stuff there. Back when it was kind of a safe and nicer place, your parents and extended family did not care about its existence and your friends just talk about a lot of things (It was refreshing how pleasant the exchanges were on that section! It was kind of scary how unperturbed we were about our privacy though) on each other's Wall, statuses and comments instead of doing it through personal inboxes. Anyway, I didn't go as deep as I intended to because:

  1. I spent too much time reading the convos and witty banters on the things I posted or was tagged to me. 
  2. I couldn't help looking at every album I posted and how young my friends and I look in the photos. Physically young. We are still young at heart, thank you very much. Haha! 
  3. It also reminded me of the homo sapiens who broke my heart. Hahaha! Wag na natin balikan yun. But truth though? It was nice to look back pala. There were good memories there, I must say. Of course, I did not forget. But I am no longer cringing by the thought of how pathetic I was. Hahaha!

I was also reminded of my accomplishments and milestones (which was reassuring and therapeutic because there are days when I feel like I've barely done anything and I'm heading to whatever it is and who knows where) such as graduating from uni (3 times and another one coming up. But who's counting? Haha!), studying and eventually moving overseas (best decision I ever made so far), traveling a fair share, living independently and slowly turning into a semi-domesticated chick I once thought I will never be (HAHA!), trying new things, meeting more people, Mavs winning a championship (Sobrang over the moon ko nun, I wrote an open letter to the team! #MFFL) and still alive and kicking (or so I think! HAHAHA!) this adulting thing.

And if there were highs, there were lows such as entering the workforce just to slowly kill my morale right from the get-go with shit pay (I know. I should be grateful. But keeping it real here), nearly losing my brother to some fucked-up strangers (which hasn't really come up in family conversations for a long time now), being betrayed by people I trusted (See the trend there? This is why I am extra careful and why I am kind of suspicious/paranoid about some people. Also, I obsessively read and watch a lot of crime-related stories and shows, too, so that is not helping. HAHAHA!).


The main takeaway is, (as always, dami kong hanash!), it was not perfect but it was good. The decade started with me feeling lost and confused as I transition into another stage of my life and a different level of responsibility. Being thrown into the real world on your own after 20 years of having a set plan laid out for you or following the normal, basic steps to take was daunting as it was enlightening. Oh, it was a ride. Innumerable series of trial and error. It pushed me to explore and to toughen up. Nothing can ever really prepare you for it. We all have to work our own way through it. And it never stops. Now, fast forward to 10 years later, while I already accomplished some goals I set for myself, I'm still busting my ass off to get to where I really want to be and everything else that I want to achieve. What is it that they say? Great things take time, right? The next few years, even the next decade, will be tough and scary but exciting. And that's a story we all have to wait to happen.

For now, let's raise a glass:
To good health, to achieving dreams and to new people and places, more memories and better experiences for this coming year and the next decade; 
To my family and friends (you know who you are!) who never wavered with support and love and helped me to get to where I am now; 
To the people who doubted, rejected and broke us and turned us into stronger individuals;
And (actually, grab the whole bottle for this one) to the person we are now and are becoming. We all deserve a pat at the back (and that bottle!) for making it this far and still going, hey! 

May we all have a brighter and blessed new year!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig