10 December 2018

What I Discovered about Myself during Flat Hunting

I've been on a hunt for a flat to rent since last month. I'm currently living with my brother and a friend but my brother wants to move out and live closer to work by next year. I, on the other hand, need more space for my future projects in design school and more storage for my clothes (or I should just stop buying, really. Haha!). At the time of writing, I already submitted an application for two flats that I am interested at. I haven't heard anything from them yet so let's see which of those two flats I'll get approved for.

Anyway, while I was scouring real estate websites for flats that fit my budget and is in a location that I prefer, I discovered that I apparently have a mental list, somewhere at the back of my head, of how I like my nest to be that I do not know about:

12

A bathroom with a bathtub
I know. I have heard it so many times. A bathtub is hard to clean. But the tita in me wants to have a tub where I can soak myself in a bath bombed water on a Friday or Saturday night, with lit aromatic candles on the side, a good, relaxing playlist on the background and a glass of wine or a book within reach. It sounds really tempting in my head. But we'll see if I will actually regret this choice later on once I start cleaning my own tub.

4

... or just a shower area that is not in a bathtub
I just realised during my recent trip to Europe, in the middle of taking a shower, that I don't like the combined tub-and-shower style in the bathroom, like most hotels have (or I have been to at least). I don't want to sit and soak in the same place where I scrubbed off the dirt in my body.

6

A floor without a carpet
I just think carpets are dirty. Like dirt and virus are hiding in between their strands. I feel like I can't clean it properly because it's hard to tell the difference between a clean and dirty carpet unlike when you have timber, tiled or polished concrete floors. I don't mind a carpet as a floor decor though.

13

An open-plan kitchen
I thought I wouldn't care that much about the kitchen design but upon inspecting the flats for rent, I realised I like an open kitchen. With a counter in the middle, if we are being specific here. Haha! I know that the food odour from the cooking will not be contained in that space if it's an open-plan kitchen but I feel like it's easier to move around if it is designed like that. It's easier to converse with guests while you're in the kitchen and they are sitting down in the living room or in the dining area. I'm not a great cook and I'm not in the kitchen as often but I realised that kitchen matters to me. Haha!

2

A little backstory: Ever since I saw the Humphreys' lovely abode in Gossip Girl, I've always dreamed of having a loft -- brick walls, open space, high ceilings, wide and tall windows, the beauty of unfinished rawness. In fact, I found two loft-style apartments but it was way out of my budget, unfortunately. So yeah, I really like open spaces.

7

A laundry room
Similar to the kitchen, I didn't think this would really matter to me until I saw it. I think it's nice to have that little space where you can hide your huge washing machine and/or dryer, place your hampers for dirty clothes and segregate them already by colour, do your laundry, fold and iron your clothes and store your laundry-related items. Even cleaning items, I suppose.

11

A deck, veranda or balcony
Since I am so tita now, I like to sit down or hang out in a space that is not in front of the TV or the computer to drink coffee or tea or read a book. It'll be also a good space where my guests and I can hang out.

18

Bar area/bar cart
I saw this in Don Draper's office when I watched Mad Men. Not that I drink often but I think it would be fun to have one. I've always wanted to learn mixology, anyway, so that would be handy while I am learning and practicing. Haha!

9

Natural light
Lots of it. Hence, I like big windows or glass doors going to the deck or veranda. This also explains why I like lofts.

8

Crazy amount of storage or space
That's one of the main reasons why I am moving out. I need more space and storage. I prefer a built-in floor to ceiling closets or cupboards or any space-maximiser storage really. Or even a space big enough for me to add on shelves or cupboards.

15

Modern 
When I was younger, I imagined the style interior of my future home to be somewhat French-inspired -- French windows, grand tapestries, pattern plays, intricate details. Think toned-down Rococo or Regency style, perhaps. As I grew older, however, I realised that, while it is lovely to look at, I don't find it as homey as I'd like my place to be. At least in terms of my own definition of homey. Apart from the people living in it, I know that the cosy vibe of a home also depends on how you will decorate your house and what items you will buy. But that style is too glam for me. And I like glam, don't get me wrong. I'm all about that glam style or vibe except in my future home.

Hence, the flats that I liked have sleek and no fuss interiors -- streamlined cupboards, clean lines, neutral colour palette, clear glass on windows, unadorned tiles or walls. It is the perfect foundation for my style preference in decoration, which I think is called:

16

Eclectic
Even with my fashion style or choice of any personal item, in general, I find myself leaning towards a mix of modern and eclectic style -- simple or classic with a little twist, colour and here and there, exquisite and unique details and textures, a mix and match of vintage and contemporary items. Okay, maybe a pinch of glam, too. That's how I want to decorate my future place, too. The flats that are within my budget are unfurnished so I could and I am going to jazz it up with quirkiness, colours and textures. Let's be honest, it will not be my apartment if it will not have a pop of colour or quirkiness here and there.

Which leads me to this conclusion:

I will be totally obsessed with the furniture, appliance and home decor hunting and purchasing and interior decoration. No doubt. I'm looking at Pinterest and home-related websites like my life depends on it. I am starting to be OCD with the details and reviews of appliances. Haha! But I'm sure this will be fun.

Oh, adulting. I hate you. I love you. Haha!


{ Photo Credits (from top to bottom) : 1 | 2 | 3 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 }
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig