24 September 2017

Travel Journal: Singapore Day 1

Singapore_2017_Day1

I wanted to try travel journalling during this trip but I was not that successful. It was hard to find time to sit and write my thoughts down because of jam-packed days and long nights during my trip. Hence, I wrote most of the entries in retrospect. I, however, omitted some details from my actual journal to be "internet-friendly."

06 September 2017, 2:48 PM

Singapore_2017_Day1

It has been a while since I went on a birthday trip. I've been meaning to go to Singapore since last year. Disregarding the unbelievable humidity and heat, I heard a lot of good things about their selection of food there and I am always, and will always be, up for good food. I also planned to attend Ultra Music Festival with my brother and promised a friend that I would visit her. However, the trip did not push through...

But now, I am currently inside the plane and flying somewhere over the ocean (or I might still be somewhere in Australia, I think.) en route to Singapore! Yay! I just finished my lunch (braised beef with quail egg and mushroom) and I am about to go back into reading this book that I brought with me. I am nearly finished but, let's be honest here, 10 more words or so and I'm out. I sleep like a baby inside a plane. Haha! Anyway, I'll fill in more details after I land and meet Chai at the airport.

07 September 2017, almost 4:30 AM 

Singapore_2017_Day1
Let's all take a moment of silence and appreciate this wonderful effort -- She made me a sign!

Chai picked me up at the airport. She had the whole thing set up from making this sign to taking a video footage as soon as I walked past the immigration. It wasn't the original sign though. I believe it was supposed to be bigger than this but she forgot to bring it with her to the office. She had to improvise instead. She re-did it while she was on a meeting, which explains the use of the back side of this random office document and the folder. Haha! Because it was already a bit late, we had dinner at one of the restaurants (Swensen's) in the airport. I ordered the Black Pepper Seafood Pasta for my main and a scoop of mint and a scoop of coffee ice cream. Of course, we got home really late as we cannot seem to stop talking (as usual) over dinner.

Thanks, Chai for the sign, for picking me up at the airport and for dinner. 

Now, I should get some sleep because I have to wake up in 2.5 hours! AAACCCCKKK.

07 September 2017, few hours later

The first person that I met that day: Kla!

Singapore_2017_Day1


When I sent her my proposed itinerary and plans for this trip, I asked her if it was alright if we could meet early so we can have breakfast and we can spend more time together. She was happy to do so. That morning, she was also nice enough to meet me at the train station near where I was currently staying. But I was late for an hour! I wasn't able to fully unpack the night before because Chai's housemates were already asleep. I didn't want to cause unnecessary noise because of my unpacking. However, Chai and I spent 4 more hours talking instead. Few hours later, Chai woke me up earlier than scheduled so I can unpack the rest of my stuff that morning. I sent Kla a message to ask her if we can push back a bit our scheduled time to meet. I wasn't able to read Kla's message or answer her calls beforehand as my phone went dead and I was in a rush getting ready. Chai also wanted me to eat breakfast before I leave the house. (She cooked pork steak for me - with rice - so how can I say no that? I missed eating rice for breakfast, too!) The next thing I knew, I'm late and when I read Kla's message after charging my phone, she was already on her way.

Singapore_2017_Day1


To make me even later and despite Chai giving me a map (which she personally sketched for me, by the way) to get to the train station, I still got confused (a little bit) and got lost just a little bit (Okay, maybe a little more than just a bit...). I turned right, instead of left, and the rest was history. Hahaha! Anyway, I arrived at the train station in one piece. (Finally! Huhu. Sorry, Kla! And sorry that I ruined your breakfast surprise treat) I was super excited to see Kla in flesh. I haven't seen her since 2012, I think. That was even before I left for Australia. While we do video calls from time to time, nothing beats seeing your friend in person.

Singapore_2017_Day1


Our first order of business that day: playtime at Universal Studios and Sentosa.

Singapore_2017_Day1


We got off at a station (which I forgot the name!) then switched trains and got off at another station where the cable car going to Sentosa is (Was that Mount Faber? I'm not sure. I wasn't paying attention. We were busy chitchatting. Haha!). I was excited to ride the cable car. I mentioned to Kla, specifically, that I wanted to ride the cable car. 

Singapore_2017_Day1

After the cable car ride, we walked going to Universal Studios. We decided to have lunch before we went in. I left all the decision-making when it came to food with Kla. She is a local there so I trust that she would bring me to must-try places that serve really good, authentic food.

Singapore_2017_Day1

She brought me to Malaysian Street Food, a hawker-like place in Sentosa area. Our first meal of the day were Chicken Rice Ball from Malacca, Chicken and Beef Satay from Straits of Satay and Malaysian Bak Kut Teh. I liked the Chicken Rice Ball. The bak kut teh was okay. I think the satay needed a little more flavour.

Singapore_2017_Day1
Chicken Rice Ball from Malacca, Chicken and Beef Satay from Straits of Satay and Malaysian Bak Kut Teh
Then, off we went to Universal Studios. She strategically planned where we would go and which rides we should try. Since she has been there quite a few times, she knows what's good and what's not worth lining up for.

Singapore_2017_Day1

Our first stop was Lights, Camera, Action, which was virtually hosted by Steven Spielberg. We watched how they shoot a hurricane scene in a studio, all complete with the cinematic effects. It was pretty cool.

Singapore_2017_Day1


Next stop was the Waterworld show, which was basically a recreation of some scenes in Waterworld movie.


Singapore_2017_Day1


Then, Revenge of the Mummy ride. Now, this was where the "fun" actually happened.

Singapore_2017_Day1

She said that we should go do that ride. I asked what kind of ride it was. She explained that it was just similar to a horror train. Hey, I was up for the horror train, so we went in. We left all our belongings in a locker, as required. I should have known at this point, right? But I didn't think of anything else about it. We lined up. The ride didn't look suspicious. It looked like I was in really for a horror show because it was dark inside and it was a mummy ride. Then, it was our turn to get on the ride. Initially, it was moving like a horror train. There were mummies on the sides, freaky lights and all that creepy jazz. I was waiting for that scary, me-screaming-until-my-vocal-cords-hurt moment.

Singapore_2017_Day1

Then, it became really dark and then, we were moving fast and backwards, tilting sideways! Apparently, we were on an indoor roller coaster ride! A FREAKIN' ROLLER COASTER RIDE. Yeah, it was really fun. Fun for Kla, to be specific! I was not prepared that we would be riding a roller coaster at that very moment. And I am not good with roller coaster rides! I don't know which one is scarier - roller coaster ride in an open space or in a closed one? I thought we were done because it stopped. I looked at Kla and I was like, "Tapos na ba?? (Are we done?)"

Singapore_2017_Day1

She looked at me, wide-grinned and I knew it wasn't over. All I ever said in return was, "F*ckkk. Humanda ka." There was one more round of that scary sh*t. I mean, I knew there was more because that's how roller coasters work - you think it's over but it's not. Haha! But I was kind of hoping that I was wrong. Then, I looked at Kla again as the ride was about to stop (for real, thank heavens) and said, "Humanda ka sakin paglabas natin. I had tears in my eyes!"

Singapore_2017_Day1

I was half-shocked and half-laughing because she got me. We got out (and I'm alive! Haha!) and from then on, every time she will suggest a ride, I bombarded her with so many questions like, "Is that a roller coaster ride?" or "What kind of ride is it?" or "How is it? Is it going to move backwards, sideways?" or "Are you sure this isn't like the other one?" and more. I was asking her for specific details. Hahaha! I can try riding roller coasters but I have to condition myself. But since she surprised me, instead of waiting for me to be ready, she couldn't convince me to ride the other two roller coasters that she wanted me to try.

Our next ride was the Transformers, which was 3D and really fun.


Singapore_2017_Day1

We headed next to the Jurassic Park ride but, unfortunately, it was closed for maintenance. That would have been a fun ride, too.

Singapore_2017_Day1

Far Far Away was our last stop before heading to Skyline Luge. I just really wanted photos with the castle.

Singapore_2017_Day1

Singapore_2017_Day1


Singapore_2017_Day1

We decided to grab a bite and a bit of rest before heading to Skyline Luge.

Singapore_2017_Day1

She brought me to Toast Box and we had Traditional Kaya toast and Golden Lava french toast. OMG. IT WAS SOOO GOOOD!!! I loved that Golden Lava french toast. It had a perfect contrast - sweet and savoury, gooey on the inside and crisp on the outside - that really worked. It was ah-mah-zing! She taught me how to eat it properly with the soft boiled egg.

Singapore_2017_Day1

She knew I wanted coffee so she explained to me what their coffee menu is: Kopi C, Kopi O and Kopi. If my memory serves me right, Kopi C is coffee with milk. Kopi O is black. Kopi is with evaporated and condensed milk.

Singapore_2017_Day1

After the snack, it was Luge time!!! I was excited for this one, too! I was a bit apprehensive initially because I sucked at bump cars when I was younger... But, after one lap, I was maneuvering like a pro! It was surprisingly pretty basic, really. Then, by the third lap, I was drifting. A guy who works there had to call out my attention because I was driving it too fast. Haha!

Singapore_2017_Day1

Every after lap, we had to ride the Skyride. Apparently, it was my payback time. Kla is better at high and fast rides; I am better at high and slow rides.

Singapore_2017_Day1

Singapore_2017_Day1

For dinner, Kla brought me to Makansutra. Yayyy! This was one of the spots I really looked forward going to. I heard so many good things about this place and I couldn't wait to try the food there. We were only on our first stall and I was eyeing a lot of food already. It was overwhelming! So I let Kla choose which food she really wanted me to try instead. She ordered salted egg prawns, spicy fried squid and stingray. OMG, that meal was one for the books as well. I was obsessed with that salted egg prawns! I love salted egg and I love prawns and if you put them together, it's heaven! I now truly understand their craze for anything with salted egg. 

Singapore_2017_Day1
Do not miss this place if you're in SG! It's a crime if you do! Lol!
Luckily, we were able to catch a glimpse of the light show at Marina Bay while having dinner.

Singapore_2017_Day1


And by 11:00 or 11:30 PM, we decided to call it a night and headed home instead. 

Singapore_2017_Day1


Singapore_2017_Day1
Seeing her and spending the ENTIRE day with her was the best part of the day.
Singapore_2017_Day1

Thanks, Chai and Kla, for the wonderful first (and a half) day! :)


***
EDIT (01 April 2018):
I thought of compiling some of the clips that I took during my trip and creating this. I apologize for some shaky clips though. I only recorded these for personal purposes so I didn't see the need to go big with a stabilizer or a monopod because no one else will see it. But as I am spring cleaning (I know, too late for it. Haha!) my files, I watched the clips and I thought, why not? :)

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig