25 September 2017

Travel Journal: Singapore Day 2

Singapore_2017_Day2

8 September 2017

This was my day!

Early that morning, Chai surprised me. Unfortunately, it failed - not because I found out but, I was totally oblivious. While I was having a shower, she placed the cake and her gift on the dining table, thinking that I will see it once I walk towards the bedroom. I walked past it three times already before I even noticed and said, "Uy, may cake... Ay, akin to?" Because let's admit it, I ruined the moment and I looked horrifying (LOL!) and so ready for bed, I blew my candles and took photos after breakfast instead.

Singapore_2017_Day2

I decided to spend my birthday with my friends. Hence, after the gazillion photos with my birthday cake, Chai (who took a leave from work to spend my birthday with me) and I met Kla (who requested a day off at work as well) at Bishan station. Since it was my actual birthday, I just wanted to do something chill. Beforehand, I gave Kla a list of places in Singapore that I want to tick off.
Singapore_2017_Day2

First agenda of the day: #DoItForTheGram shots. Included in that list were some "instagrammable" places in Singapore. We started the day by going to library @ orchard and Gateway Bridge.

Singapore_2017_Day2

I instructed Kla how I wanted my photos to be like (#demanding Hahaha!) and she delivered. (She got pressured to deliver. So, she googled "photography basics" before we met that morning. The girl's competitive and up for a challenge, what can I say.)
Singapore_2017_Day2
Thanks, Kla, for these shots! :)
Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
Thanks, Chai, for snappin' me some photos, too!
Singapore_2017_Day2
The team behind my Instagram shots! :p
Singapore_2017_Day2

For my birthday lunch, we headed to Song Fa Bak Kut Teh in Centrepoint, as suggested by Kla. Hershey, one of my friends from college as well (who traded in a few hours of sleep - she came from a night shift - to celebrate my birthday with me) joined us for lunch. Kla wanted me to try the Singaporean version of Bak Kut Teh. We also ordered dough fritters and braised pig intestine. It was an intimate get-together and I was so happy that my friends were there and made time for me to celebrate my birthday.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

It's already a given that museums are a must for me. I think Kla was surprised that my list included temples? So, after lunch, we started ticking off the list of temples that I wanted to see. We went to Chinatown and visited Sri Mariamman Temple, Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Thian Hock Keng Temple.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
Singapore_2017_Day2
While in Chinatown, we had the famous dollar ice cream (but now costs 1.20 SGD - as locals say).

Singapore_2017_Day2

We headed to Merlion Park, thereafter, to do some usual touristy stuff like a photo with the Merlion and Marina Bay Sands.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

However, there was one touristy thing I definitely did not want to do - photo with the Merlion. I took a photo of it but not with it. I mean, come on, a photo with the Marina Bay Sands - I cannot be more touristy than that. A photo with the Merlion? It was a bit too touristy for me. Unfortunately, Hershey wasn't able to join us because, as I mentioned, she came from a night shift so she hasn't slept yet. She headed home instead.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

singapore_2017_Day2

We took more OOTD and other random photos while waiting for Kla's friend.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

National Gallery Singapore was our next stop.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

I was looking forward to seeing The Obliteration Room by Yayoi Kusama. I specifically wore white for it! We spent more time than we intended to in this part of the gallery.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

We almost forgot to stick the stickers that we bought. We spent so much time and had so much fun taking photos and Boomerangs in every corner. We even recorded a video a la 73 Questions by Vogue!

Singapore_2017_Day2

And needless to say, more #DoItForTheGram shots!

Singapore_2017_Day2

One of the security guards couldn't hide the smile on his face while watching us. Pretty sure he thought we were crazy, old ladies. Hahaha! He eventually approached us and asked what language we were speaking and where we were from. He suggested that we should also check out another exhibit where there were big balls that changes its colour depending on the beat or music being played on the background (I forgot the exact name of the exhibit, sorry.). He thought we will enjoy that one, too.
Singapore_2017_Day2
I really like to commend my friends for taking my photos patiently and willingly. (They took heaps of good photos so I'm pretty sure they didn't mind at all. Haha!)
Singapore_2017_Day2
So, off we went to that exhibit suggested by the guard.


Singapore_2017_Day2

We also tried this walkway with mirrors that gave the illusion that you're floating/walking on air and there's this black abyss underneath you. Then, we also went up the rooftop to check out the glass museum but unfortunately, it was closed.


Singapore_2017_Day2

I was prepared to skip eating chilli crab during my trip (It was a tough decision.) because I really cannot be bothered to pick the crab meat from the shell. Doing so just ruins my appetite (My mom always does the "hardwork" for me.). When they were deciding where to eat for my birthday dinner (I still let them decide about food choices even if it's my birthday because as I said, I trust a local.), I suggested that we can go to an Italian restaurant. Italian cuisine seems always fitting for any celebration or even without any occasion at all. But if they really wanted to eat chilli crab, I will just order a different meal. But, Kla was adamant that I should have chilli crab for my birthday dinner, so much so that she was willing to pick the crab meat for me. 

Singapore_2017_Day2

Singapore_2017_Day2

So, we headed to Jumbo Restaurant in Clarke Quay for my birthday dinner. And she really did pick the crab meat for me! I must say, it was one of the kindest and sweetest things someone did for me! Thank you, Kla! I owe you heaps!

Singapore_2017_Day2

And damn, that chilli crab was soooo goood!!! It was meaty, savoury and cooked just right. Oh gosh, my heart and my tummy were over the moon!

Singapore_2017_Day2

To cap off my day, we had birthday drinks, of course. After one margarita and another drink I cannot remember the name now, I was happy as a... minion? Haha! (AKA Tipsy.)

This day, of course, was the highlight of my trip. I celebrated my birthday with friends whom I haven't seen for quite a while. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making time for me and for celebrating my birthday with me.

Singapore_2017_Day2

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who greeted me on my birthday and made that day more special. If you know me well, you would know that my birthday is one of my ultimate favourite days. So thank you!

And thank you, Lord, for another year.

Keep pushing. This is just the beginning. You got this.

Countdown to three-oh begins!!!


Singapore_2017_Day2


***
EDIT (24 June 2018):
Again, I apologize for some shaky clips though. 




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig