21 August 2010

The Perks of Unemployment?





Two weeks ago, my training at Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center officially ended! :)








I never thought that day would come but it did! Oh how I’ve longed for that day! Oh, don’t get me wrong. I love what I did and that experience taught me a lot but it sure burned me out and frustrated me alongside because I want a job that PAYS me. I’ve had enough training I think. Haha!



And since I’ve been a bum ‘unexpectedly’ (I was supposed to fill 24 days of make-up duty. I already did 6 days of make-up when we double checked at the office, turns out I only have to make up for three days! And I exceeded already.) for four days now, I became a bit clueless and overwhelmed on what to do next (aside from looking for a job) since I set myself to do things starting September.
As I was preparing my credentials the other day, I saw an article from a magazine which I got from a Nursing Expo that I attended last year. I’ll quote some lines.
Unemployed? Turn the tide to your advantage
Unemployment might not seem like an attractive alternative, but with it comes a major advantage – you have more time in your hands. With the right game plan, you can take advantage of a temporary pause between jobs to reevaluate and rejuvenate your career.
Earn another degree. In addition to traditional graduate schools, there are dozens of options for getting job-relevant training year-round. Get an additional degree in marketing, business administration, law or anything related to your current field. This will provide you with an edge over others.
>>> I’ve thought about it way before. I just don’t know what to take first: my Master’s degree or my Fashion Design dream. If I take my Master’s degree, I don’t know if I should take it here or to try my luck applying for a scholarship abroad. And to add to those decisions to make, I also don’t know when should I start reviewing for my NCLEX and take the test because I am also considering the fact ‘what-if-I-get-hired-unexpectedly-soon?’ I also like to take Creative Writing units in UP Open University, just to enhance my ‘writing’ expression and talent (if you really call this talent. Haha!).
Your Hobby could be the next goldmine. Ever spent a spare moment at work wishing you could spend more time fishing, painting, cooking, or whatever your passion is? Well consider your wish granted. Unemployment can be a perfect time to explore your personal passions. At worst, you’ll get to enjoy yourself, at best you may find a way to make money doing what you love.
>>> My passion? Fashion! :) With this free time, I will have the chance to practice (and eventually discover, if ever I have, my innate drawing skills. I HOPE.) sketching or drawing. And I could also try my luck in business! I’ve always wanted to try serious business way back in college. I just didn’t have enough time to do it and enough money to invest for it.
So there! :) Instead of being frustrated at waiting for a job, why not divert that negative energy into something positive by taking it as an opportunity to do things that I’ve always wanted to do? And I wonder why it didn’t hit me before?! Well actually, it did. But I was unclear about the things that I wanted to do before (you can check out my ramblings at my former entries. Haha!). Now that it is all clear and I have the time in my hands, let’s go baby! :)
“Do not fret when things don’t go your way. Maybe there are other opportunities just waiting for you. Get involved, get into the action.”
SHARE:
© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig