31 May 2010

Perioperative Nursing II.

So I started having my duty in the Delivery Room since Tuesday but I only got to scrub in (as second scrub, to be exact) last Friday. We were refreshed with the Surgical Handwash and Rub (Yeah, it's not hand SCRUB anymore! THANK GOD! Haha!), DR instruments and setup and how to operate some machines (My favorite is the monitoring machine used by the anaesthesiologist and the one used in recovery room). Nothing exciting much with the case though because it’s an Elective Caesarean Section delivery and I’ve seen it before already. It was a 3:00 pm case that day and since we need to complete 5 cases each for Minor and Major surgeries, I waited for it. Expecting that the case would be on time, I was wrong. It started around 3:45 pm already because the anaesthesiologist had another case that was not done yet so we waited for her. The cute thing is, the surgeon and the anaesthesiologist assigned to do the CS were a couple but I was more surprised to find out that the gynecology surgeon was the male and the anaesthesiologist was the female! I expected it would be the other way around. Hehe. The surgeon’s good by the way. Aside from the CS, he also did a cosmetic gyne-type of surgery. The patient had a very ugly scar on her abdomen due to a prior operation. She wanted to have it removed and since her abdominal skin was distended due to pregnancy, the surgeon removed the skin (including the subcutaneous fats) with the scar, continued with opening the peritoneum through that same area then stitched it up! Very nicely done. Goodbye extra scar and too much distended skin and hello one clean and straight CS line. Anyway, I was on duty for 12 hours that day since I waited for the case to be finished. The nurse that I was with in the case told me to scrub out already but I didn’t because I think that is just unprofessional. Oh, but I badly wanted to because my friends were already waiting for me for 3 hours at Trinoma! Haha.

25 May 2010. Tuesday. Practicing gowning and gloving. :)

I really would love to work in The Medical City. It makes me feel good about my profession. Okay, that’s kind of a biased statement because the Operating Room is my favourite place in the hospital. But then again, I don’t feel like I’m a slave and maxed out beyond my limit that unfortunately leads to inadequate service and care for my patients. Yeah, call me a bad nurse but try working in a public hospital and you’ll get what I mean. And I also noticed that for the past two weeks, I’m not ranting! Hahaha! So definitely, this will lead me to printing my resume and submitting it to the Nursing Service or HR Department of The Medical City! :) I have a very good and positive feeling that it’s going to be my workplace. IT DEFINITELY IS. It should be! Haha! if you go back to my previous entry, I said that I wanted to explore being a nurse and I wanted to work in the OR so here it is! A blessing from God! :) See, He still wants me to try and be a nurse.

On the other side of things, I mentioned earlier that my friends were waiting for me at Trinoma last Friday. We were supposed to talk about our coming case presentation then have dinner with Dr. Menguita and Ma’am Rachel. Since I was late, we weren’t able to talk much about our case. We just nattered actually! Haha! I missed my groupmates!

Dinner at Avenetto! Dr. Menguita’s treat for us. Yey, I love it! :)
SHARE:
© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig