08 March 2010

Another week that was...

I had already started my duty in Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center this past week. Well, the first two days were a complete waste of time. Last Monday we had our final orientation, somewhat a pre-duty orientation thing. Last Tuesday we had our hospital tour. My first two days were a half-day event. They could and should have squeezed it on one whole day.

My bestfriend and I were supposed to meet after lunch last Tuesday but since he had a sudden ‘errand’ from his mom and he became too busy that day, we decided to cancel. After the hospital tour, instead of waiting for him, I went straight home. So I walked towards the LRT Station and I arrived just in time. The train had just stopped and dropped off people. I was about to ride in when I saw him getting off the train! Haha. So while waiting for the next train, we had a little chitchat for a while.

(L) My UERM cap back when I was a student and (R) my new cap

I used to borrow one from a staff nurse in any ward that I was assigned to just to try it, now I have my own!

My first day of duty started last Wednesday. My groupmates and I have a 6-2 shift schedule for the whole month and we were assigned in Female Medical Ward. I wasn’t surprised regarding the patient census of the ward since it’s a public and government hospital. We had a census of 47 patients that day. But it was overwhelming since I wasn’t used to handling a ward that has that amount of patients. And what’s unusual for me was inside that Medical Ward, you can also find the Neurology ICU, Neurology Ward, Oncology Ward (Mini-version actually) and Acute Stroke Unit. Me and two more groupmates of mine, we were assigned in the Neurology, Oncology and Stroke area. The next day, Thursday, the other head nurse assigned us solely on the Neurology area. Then on Friday, we were given four patients each to handle. For the first three days, we only did errands – the normal and usual routine works of a staff nurse except the charting part. I encountered different cases of disease -- weird cases (yung tipong, ‘How come the patient had that?’), shocking cases (yung tipong, ‘Sige, kinuha na lahat ng sakit’), surprising cases (yung tipong, ‘Ha? Yun yung sakit nya??’). The first three days went on smoothly. Except for the part that one of the patients in a ward died. It was my second time to see someone who was being revived. And you know what’s weird? Death will never be a casual event for me but it was my first time to witness an emergency situation na parang wala lang. A patient on a brink of death is an emergency situation but I didn’t witness a panic scene wherein the doctors and nurses were rushing, no code cart was being pushed and parang ang slomo pa ng moment na yun. I know they (and my groupmate Gerald, naks!) tried hard to revive him but to no avail, it was her time already. Working in a place like this broadens your sight or vision and your compassion and strengthens your patience because if you want to meet people from all walks of life, I believe a hospital is one of the perfect places to go to. In a setting like this, the reality of life hits you straight in the face. We all know that not all people are blessed or are fortunate, wholistically speaking. We just know that fact but the gravity of that fact won’t hit you until you see and mingle with different people, be it from your own or out of your circle. In a career field like I have right now, it will never fail to pull you out of your comfort zone and makes you realize that you really should be grateful for whatever you have right now. We often take for granted what we have right now and we sometimes fail to thank God for all the blessings He bestowed upon us.

Anyway, I can say that it was a satisfying week but at the same time it was a very tiring week also, not mainly because of the things we did but because we weren’t able to sit down except when eating! It was the hospital’s schedule for the Philhealth Accreditation so we weren’t allowed to stay much on the conference room or the nurse’s station rather we had to stay on our patient’s bedside! Gosh, my leg muscles were painful and strained from too much standing! I wasn’t (AND NEVER WILL!) used to long standing anymore. Well, even when I was still a student, my legs never got used to almost 7-hours of standing! Mentally speaking, my brain wasn’t that tired compared when I was a student. Medyo chill lang. But I really hate that no-seating part in that week. Haha! And that first three days of duty led me to a realization (which I’ll be talking about in a different entry) – I can’t see myself doing the same work until my retirement age. Why? As I’ve said, I’ll be talking about it in a different entry so let’s hold that thought for a while. Hehe. :)
A good de-stresser is a day with friends. Just when I thought the movie date won't push through, in the middle of my duty Vinci texted me that we'll watch Alice in Wonderland after lunch.




Anyway, ayun, basically we just strolled and fooled around and talked a lot. Naabutan na nga kami ng closing ng mall e. Haha!
Then on a Saturday, my college and friends and I met for Dianna’s birthday celebration! :)

I missed my friends so much! :) I have spent two consecutive days with my friends and it's a sure and best way to destress for the week that was and to recharge myself for the coming week! :)
SHARE:
© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig