19 April 2018

I, Australian

Yesterday was my citizenship ceremony. Along with 299 people, we became full-fledged Australians and pledged our commitment and loyalty to this country.

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

When we arrived at the venue, I was told that I had to queue to claim my citizenship certificate. I was also given an electoral form to be filled out straight away.

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

Only my brother attended the ceremony with me since all of my friends had work. It was a short and sweet ceremony. Morning tea was served thereafter and I headed straight to work.

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018
Of course, Lamington for morning tea. You can't be more Australian than that! :)
I chose Australia to be my home. And I felt at home even I was on my own. I found my kind of happiness here. I am building the life that I wanted for myself here. My life is here. Of course, I could give you reasons why Australia is not perfect (nothing is, anyway) but how things are and how they do things here sits very well with me. Most importantly, it provided me the escape, the reset and the opportunity I badly needed 5 years ago. My reasons may be nothing compared to other people's stories but they were more than enough for me to stay and to move forward completely.

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

Hence, yesterday was a bittersweet moment. I was happy to move forward. But, at the same time, it felt like I was letting go a part of my being. Of course, it will always be there though - my cultural identity, my race, my Filipino values and where I came from. It will always be a part of who I was, who I am and who I will become. This is what makes us (wow, 'us,' haha!), Australians, unique as a population. We thrive on and embrace diversity.

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018

So yeah, meet your newest, friendly koala. I mean, Australian. :)

Australian_Citizenship_Ceremony_2018
My friend bought me Baklava as her congratulatory gift. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig