01 January 2017

Jana Ticks It Off: Watch Sydney's New Year's Eve Fireworks (and what I learned to do next)


A short clip of the 12-minute fireworks

Even if we watched it far from the maddening crowd, it was still beautiful.

 photo FullSizeRender 2.jpg

We had no 'game plan' for this -- not that you actually need any. Well, maybe just a little bit of planning. It is a public event, though. You need to somehow anticipate possible mishaps and you have to be smart about these things. Personally, the least thing that I want to happen on a good night like this is to be squished in a crowd (which I highly doubt, really, because crowd control here in Sydney is amazing) and to encounter strangers/revellers who tend to cause some trouble or to be scary or crazy weird when they are drunk (When you are a woman and you have lived on your own, you tend to be paranoid about this. It's not you, it's me. Maybe it's just me. Lol!).

 photo FullSizeRender.jpg
Among the few who welcomed 2017 earlier than the rest of the world

So we packed snacks, water bottles, and a beach towel; braved the train ride; went to Yarranabbe Park around 8 PM; and enjoyed the night. Actually, the train ride was better than I expected. Probably because the suggested place (Yarranabbe Park) for us to go to was far from the city and usual vantage points (Thanks to my colleagues who suggested this place and who were also with us that night, along with their families). It was a good, family-friendly spot and not crowded, which was what I wanted. Also, entrance is free. The train ride going to the city and back home wasn't so bad either. Of course, it was stuffy going to the city but it was more than manageable. All thanks to NSW Police and NSW Train authorities (and the people who stood near the train doors and shouted, "Just wait for the next train!" and "No more!" to anyone who still wanted to squeeze in. Haha!)

While waiting for the 9 PM and 12-midnight fireworks, apart from eating and chit-chatting, my brother and I were also people-watching. We took mental note of what we should be doing the next time.

1. Bring and set-up a tent.
A group/family set up a tent not far from where we were seated. It was a bit chilly that night (surprisingly!) and we were there since 8 PM. We thought that having a tent is a good idea so we can sleep inside while waiting. Haha!

2. Or we can just bring blankets or a lightweight jacket/knit.
Because laying under the sky and stars isn't so bad either. And although it is summer in Australia during this time, you can never be too sure. Unless there's heat wave, of course.

3. Bring pillows, too.
Because laying under the sky and stars or inside the tent with a pillow under your head is also a good idea.

4. Bring games.
I was just envious of the couple seated near us who were playing cards while waiting for midnight. No, I did not and will not play games from my phone/tablet or browse social media the entire time. Too boring. I thought of Netflix-ing though but come on, really? No.

5. Maybe buy tickets in advance?
I'll brave the crowd the next time, I suppose. I held off buying NYE tickets for Barangaroo spot for months and when I finally decided to purchase, it was already sold out. It would have been a really good spot though.

Overall, t was a fun experience. And I get to experience it with my brother. As always, Sydney did greet the world a Happy New Year with a gorgeous bang. Gee, I used to only see this on television! :) So if ever you're in Sydney during this time, be sure to experience this. :)

Ending this entry with the complete video of the fireworks.


I hope you all had a peaceful and wonderful celebration. Happy New Year! :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig