06 May 2011

Meet my unborn child

... Err, my uterus and ovaries. Hahahaha!


I had my first ever pelvic sonogram this afternoon, as requested by my dermatologist for she thinks I have PCOS which results to my now-you-see-now-you-don't acne. And she got it right, I do have PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I never really realized that I care about 'the essence' beauty queens have been talking about until that moment, when for a second there and for the very first time I was bothered and scared a bit. It's nothing serious though as the OB-GYNE told me, I probably just need hormonal treatment, I think.

Polycystic ovaries, according to Women's Health website, is a health problem that can affect a woman's menstrual cycle, ability to have children, hormones, heart, blood vessels and appearance.


Women with PCOS appear to have higher rates of miscarriage, gestational diabetes, pregnancy-induced high blood pressure (preeclampsia), premature delivery. 


Women with PCOS have greater chances of developing several serious health conditions, including life-threatening diseases. Recent studies found that:
  • More than 50 percent of women with PCOS will have diabetes or pre-diabetes (impaired glucose tolerance) before the age of 40.
  • The risk of heart attack is 4 to 7 times higher in women with PCOS than women of the same age without PCOS.
  • Women with PCOS are at greater risk of having high blood pressure.
  • Women with PCOS have high levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol.
  • Women with PCOS can develop sleep apnea. This is when breathing stops for short periods of time during sleep.
  • Women with PCOS may also develop anxiety and depression. It is important to talk to your doctor about treatment for these mental health conditions.
  • Women with PCOS are also at risk for endometrial cancer. Irregular menstrual periods and the lack of ovulation cause women to produce the hormone estrogen, but not the hormone progesterone.
If you have PCOS, get your symptoms under control at an earlier age to help reduce your chances of having complications like diabetes and heart disease. Talk to your doctor about treating all your symptoms, rather than focusing on just one aspect of your PCOS, such as problems getting pregnant. Also, talk to your doctor about getting tested for diabetes regularly. Other steps you can take to lower your chances of health problems include:
  • Eating right
  • Exercising
  • Not smoking

Scary, right? But let's not get ahead of ourselves because I might get paranoid. Haha. Well, during halfway of my treatment with my new dermatologist, my period started to be delayed by a week then I started missing my period which only happened twice but after the treatment, November or December last year and two months ago. I had a little bit of acne relapse last month which bothered my dermatologist. I don't have diabetes nor high blood pressure. I really think I'm still on the safer side of this problem, as manifested by my symptoms. I trust what the OB-GYNE told me, that I can sleep soundly over this fact. We'll definitely know later on if I'll be having problems in conceiving. Again, let's not get ahead of ourselves and pray that this should not be really serious nor will it lead to something really serious.

On a lighter side of that check-up, the test was sort of weird. I know the process and I know that it is not just solely for expectant women (given that we have studied it back in college), it's just that I don't know what to expect. Will I have a normal test result or not? Will my uterus and ovaries look normal? The test was kind of awkward when the OB-GYNE asked me to confirm if the test should be done through pelvic or transvaginal. I told her that my dermatologist said it should be done through pelvic. She asked me back, "Oh so you haven't had any contact?" I replied, "Nope." And she was like, "Oh thank God I asked because my secretary wrote here in the paper 'TVS' (transvaginal)." I guess having that kind of question being thrown at you when you're a virgin is what makes the whole thing awkward. But whatever. :) By now, the fact that I already knew how the jelly and the gadget that is put on the tummy feels and how my uterus and ovaries look like is an answered mystery. Hahahaha!
SHARE:
© glittered trail. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig